Saturday, January 3, 2009

Endorphins, Perfect Form and U2

"Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, and climax, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being."

For me, earlier today, they kicked in after 20 minutes on my run/walk. Yippee!!! Hallelujah!! And I managed to pull-off four miles of mostly running. Of course, the 90-year-old woman and her little itty-bitty doggie passed me, twice … seriously. Well, maybe not. But it was slow. At least I was able to maintain perfect form.

And I had U2 in my ear the whole time. Another producer of a sense of well-being. U2 saved me more than once, but that’s a story for another time.

Pain turned to a sense of well-being and walk turned to run. For my next trick, I’ll try to turn water into a fine Pinot and newsprint into hundred dollar bills. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment